Wednesday, February 6, 2008

An Undeniable Force of Attraction

Yes, this title is referring to that most charming of Rust Belt cities: Buffalo, NY. It seems that I may be moving there within the next couple of weeks as a temporary place to live, work, and hang out with awesome people. After that I am still planning to go WWOOFing in Europe starting in mid-May. I have finished my stint at Cowberry Crossing Farm in Hudson, NY. After 7 months of farm work, I was ready to leave, but I have missed some aspects of it since I left. I definitely miss my farm family. They were really great to live with and they always treated me well and helped me whenever they could. I especially miss their 5 year "little cutie" named Reese and our wrestling matches. I am not sure that all the Waldorf education in the world can take the fight out of that kid. He loves to headbutt!!

After I left the farm, I went to visit my Mom, Stepdad, and sister Katie (she exists) in Puerto Rico. My mom and stepdad, James, are trying to start an Episcopal Retreat Center in the mountains of PR. They are working really hard at it and are trying to make relationships with the local community. They seem to be experiencing a lot of success because there are always people dropping by to say hello or conduct a little church business. A kid from their neighborhood started coming up to hang out and he was really fun. I got to speak some spanish with him and we focused most of our conversation on the NBA. My spanish was abysmal, and it made me want to get a lot better. I am thinking that I am going to spend some of my time WWOOFing in Spain and learn that shit. I also got to spend a lot of time at the beach. One day my Mom and two other women almost got sucked out into the blue by a really strong undertow. It was really scary, but there were enough of us to form a human chain to bring everyone back in safely. Fucking ocean. I will have some pictures of PR soon, but my digital camera is pulling some serious shenanigans, so it may be a little while.

My trip to PR was bookended by a couple of lovely visits to Buffalo, where I got to see many Geneseo alums and meet some Buffalo friends of theirs. Everyone was great and it was really fun to be there. Harrison and I played some 3 on 3 basketball with a bunch of people and now every muscle in my legs is sore. I need to get more exercise apparently. I also watched the Super Bowl with Harrison, Sara, and Stephan. We were all pretty excited by the end (well, some of us were excited at the beginning too). Take care everyone. peace.

2 comments:

H-Bomb? said...

i was about to harass you regarding posting on here.

i think the picture we all need to see is, "machete matt"

whitney said...

yay! more buffalo friends!