Monday, June 11, 2007

Hola, from down on the farm!

Hello Everyone!
Wow, I can't believe that I am writing on a blog. I guess that it was bound to happen someday and it isn't too surprising that Fiones had a large hand in getting me here. Anyhow, I have been having a great time at Cowberry Crossing Farm. I moved in about a week and a half ago with some help from George Norman Lapennas. Needless to say that was a bit of an adventure as his car is on its last legs and the trailer we were using to move my stuff had only one tailight. The trip included my stuff getting wet in the trailer and my Dad receiving two tickets for the aforementioned automotive issues. The farm family that I am living and working with is really great. The is a mommy, Cecile and a daddy, Richard and two kids Reese (4) and Grace (10). Richard moved to America from England when he was a young adult and he is a really nice guy. Cecile is a California girl (i mean woman). Reese is really cute and pretty with it for a four year old. Grace is really quite smart and she likes to keep an eye on me and make sure that I am doing things properly (which I ALWAYS am). My days start around 6:30 when I get up to feed the animals. Then I go in for a quick breakfast and am out working until about noon when I break for lunch. Then I work until about 5 or 6. I usually have some small thing to take care of later at night, but I am basically free after six pretty much every day. I won't go into any detail about my work because it would take way too long and I want to keep this from getting too ridiculously long.

So, I was definitelyworried coming in to this that I would be too isolated, but it hasn't turned out that way. I mean, there are definitely times when I feel a bit bored after I get off work and I wish that I had someone to have dinner with or something, but it isn't too bad. I have also met some really cool interns and apprentices at other farms lately. I met two other twentysomethings working at a farm about 18 miles away who are cool. I also met a bunch of interns who work at Hawthorn Valley Farm (a large biodynamic farm/Waldorf School), which is about seven miles from my farm. There are 8 interns there and I can go over there anytime and someone is sure to be around in the evening. They are all cool and I especially like this guy Sasha who works there. He is a fairly silly Russian who loves the drink, so we get along pretty well. No Franzia consumption yet.... Hawthorn Valley people also have a keen interest in Piracy and personalized Jolly Rogers. Harrison, you would LOVE IT.

Well, I need to get off the computer so that Cecile can use it, but I just read everyone's posts so far and it sounds like everyone is doing pretty well, which is good to hear. I would love to hear from all of you and I will try to be better about calling folks to chat in the near future. I miss you all so much. I hope to see you all in the forseeable future. Take care.

Love, Matt

ps- I have made cooks and a blueberry pie. Also, I love Lebron James even though the cavs have been handled by the spurs recently.

2 comments:

fiona said...

yay! i made chocolate chip cooks today, but they taste like pancakes.

H-Bomb? said...

lebron james is getting his butt handed to him... BY TONY PARKER