Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Revolutions, Caulk Streams, Dead Birds

Hi friends. Harrison suggested I post something on here, and in the spirit of the New Year - trying to do more shit better and what not - I wrote it on my list of 'shit to do'. It's at the end of a long shit-list, but I worked a long day today, so tonight it is taking precedence over insulating my roof, and repairing the broken windows in my attic, and removing the newest pigeon that flew up there and died. Happy New Year! For real though, things are good in Burlyvit. The wine gig ended with winter, so now I'm working for my slumlord who is a cool guy and a contractor, among other things, such as a complete burnout. But it works out, because he pays me to do all the stuff he forgot, like insulating? Anyway, I'm helping build an $800,000 addition for a 28-year-old dude. His mom owns a ritzy co-op, and his shower has a stream running out of it. Seriously. He had rocks grouted into his tile bathroom, and a stream runs out of his limestone steam-shower, across a granite tiled bathroom floor, into a black marble jacuzzi. Yeah Vermont! Go Green! Shop local! Oh well... It is a pretty cool project. I get to do a little bit of carpentry, but mostly I'm the painter, though the last couple of days have involved 10 hours each of caulking. If any of you have spent much time caulking, then you realize why I am glad that my New Years revolutions did not include anything about improving the sophistication of my jokes. Any job involving caulk provokes a stream of necessary questions: Hey Jeff? Jeff is my landlord. How much caulk do you like? To use on the window seams? Do you prefer the white caulk or the brown caulk? It's terrible. And by 7:00 I've been on my knees all day and I have caulk all over my hands and in my hair. So it's a good thing that my actual New Years revolution was to start working less. I decided that I've been way too motivated in 2007, so I'm stacking my piles of cash and jumping in Ryan Murray's new used truck in about a month, and heading West. Maybe I'll see you on the way through. Rock on. Dan Badger.

1 comment:

H-Bomb? said...

i caulked all day on MLK day. it was great.


FALSE