Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Passing Tests and Getting Pissed

Hey Everyone,
So, in case some of you haven't heard the news, nys has committed another bureaucratic blunder to sully its already tarnished name, namely, giving Matthew McKay Lapennas a driver's license. Yes, at the tender age of 22 I got it. So, I still try to bike most places but it is kind of nice to have because i have been a bit isolated because I didn't have a license or the energy to bike 20 miles after working to go visit other interns.

The work on the farm has calmed down a bit and that is good because I was getting pretty burned out. I actually am still a little burned out because I always get these crazy ideas after work of stuff that I should do in my kitchen. Making pesto and canning tomatoes are some recent projects that kept me up pretty late. Especially the canning because you have to boil a shit ton of water off before canning them. But it is going to be pretty cool to have those tomatoes come January and I won't have to be pissed about getting them from California. Unfortunately, now our tomato plants are started to suffer because we had a really dry summer and then the last few days have just been rain rain rain and that is bad for tomatoes because the tomatoes swell with all the suddenly available water and then crack. Oh well, I can still eat them, but we can't sell them anymore which sucks.

My brother came to visit me this weekend and we had a really good time. He got in Friday night and then Saturday he wanted to work a bit on the farm to see what I do all day (who really knows?). Then we went to see this Hudson River landscape artists' house. His name was Frederick church and he actually seemed like kind of a tool from looking at his mansion. He was alive at the turn of the century, but he just seemed really into himself. Then Jeff and I went to the Mexican Radio for dinner and it stunk. I paid way to much for some stuff and they totally skimped on the rice and beans. I mean, rice and beans are cheap so at least they could hook me up with a big portion. No such luck. Afterwards we were so disappointed that we went to a local pub and got some fries while we sipped gin and tonics and watched baseball. That was really fun. When we got home we watched 'Little Children'. Emily told me she loved it, and I thought it was pretty good as a critique of suburban insanity and the power of emotional repression. Then on Sunday, Jeff and I hung out with Cecile and Richard for a little bit so they could get to know each other. Then we went on this really amazing hike to a waterfall. It felt really nice in the woods and the waterfall was pretty impressive. It was probably about half again bigger that fallbrook in geneseo. Then I got Jeff some garden goodness and sent him on his way. Overall it was just nice to see a familiar face and have someone to hang out with. Jeff and I are pretty close and I have definitely missed him while he has been in California. I have also been missing close friends and family in general. I am certainly envious of all of you geneseo people who are surrounded by other awesome people constantly. To make my social situation worse, the three other interns that I was closest with suddenly left, two for medical reasons, and one for a job in the city. So that is too bad. But I met some seemingly interesting folks down at the pub the other night. They are this group of twenty somethings who started a commune/community farm about 20 miles from my farm. They are all really friendly and they invited me to come check them out at some point. So I definitely plan on getting over there sometime soon. However, I also think that I need a vacation. I have been pushing myself pretty hard work wise for 3 1/2 months now and working 60-75 hour weeks consistently. I still have to talk with Richard and Cecile, but I feel pretty confident that I can get 5 or 6 days away sometime soon. I would really like to come to Geneseo during that time. So I hope that everyone's floor/couch is comfortable. Basically, I really miss all of you guys and the wonderful relationships we all developed last year. However, I am holding on and still really enjoying my work and am still a pretty happy guy, so don't worry. After all I do love to farm!! Also, I think that Richard actually paid me a compliment on my management of the garden the other night!! It is nice to know that he actually does realize how hard I have worked at it and appreciates it. I hope you all are doing well. I miss you. peace.

1 comment:

H-Bomb? said...

me and lebron are beckoning you.... the mistake on the lake awaits!!!!